Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Anthony Henday Drive | South West Leg | Completed

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    Stop being so obtuse. They can't just paint new lines. Each ditch needs to be re-graded so it has the correct slope off of the road and most of the shoulders would need to be added to in order to provide enough space for a vehicle to pull off the road in an emergency (or an emergency vehicle to pass a traffic jam). It's 21km of road that they need to re-shoulder, re-paint, expand bridge decks, pour concrete, etc.

I thought that the bridge decks were wide enough already. Do you have a source that shows the decks will be widened and how many bridges will have that done?
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

I'd rather C2E than work!

The article posted in post #497 states that the decks will be expanded. The bridges can already support the expansion, but the actual deck needs to be expanded to accommodate.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    Stop being so obtuse. They can't just paint new lines. Each ditch needs to be re-graded so it has the correct slope off of the road and most of the shoulders would need to be added to in order to provide enough space for a vehicle to pull off the road in an emergency (or an emergency vehicle to pass a traffic jam). It's 21km of road that they need to re-shoulder, re-paint, expand bridge decks, pour concrete, etc.

I thought that the bridge decks were wide enough already. Do you have a source that shows the decks will be widened and how many bridges will have that done?
    Again

The project will include the widening of 32.6 lane km (two north and south bound lanes) of existing pavement and Portland Cement Concrete portions between Gateway Boulevard at the south end and Whitemud Drive at the north end. Also included in the contract is the widening of five major bridge structures and the construction of one new bridge, the design and construction of a noise wall and the construction of ten field approaches along Hwy 216:02 and Hwy 216:08.
    http://carmacksent.com/carmacks-ente...nday-widening/

So 5 bridges widened and one new. 2 over the North Saskatchewan, 2 over Wedgewood Ravine, 1 over Blackmud. The new one I would guess would be a new ramp over the Whitemud.

C2E Continued Contributor

All for the ridiculously low price of 100Million!!!!!! Watch Carmacks go into bankruptcy of this job OR "Hello Mr.Kenney - it's me - Mr.Carmacks - ummmmm - can you give us more money? Yeah, our estimator really **** the bed on his estimate of this incredibly massive job that will no doubt bankrupt us. Ummm, thinking another 500 million will cover it."

^I still don't know who your "buddy" is but he's been wrong from all accounts:

-17th street is indeed a bridge widening....dunno why he insisted it wasn't
    -this project include bridge widening...not sure why he said it didn't
    -This $100m isn't "cheap" nor "expensive"....it's about right for what's being built.

As part of the Hwy 63 twinning Carmacks built 31 kilometres of 2 lane highway which included 3 bridges. Their bid which was lowest at the time was about $140m.

The scope of work here is substantially less but the main constraint is traffic accommodation and they have certainly bid that into the price.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post

So 5 bridges widened and one new. 2 over the North Saskatchewan, 2 over Wedgewood Ravine, 1 over Blackmud. The new one I would guess would be a new ramp over the Whitemud.
    It's 2 x wedgewood expansion, 2xN. sask expansion, 1 whitemud expansion, 1 new whitemud bridge.
    Last edited by B.ike; 06-09-2019 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post

It's 2 x wedgewood expansion, 2xN. sask expansion, 1 whitemud expansion, 1 new whitemud bridge.
    Thank you!

Thanks for the info.

Somehow the scope and the price, just don't match. Maclac has his doubts and I second them.

Time will tell.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

im confused i though carmacks was already bankrupt or was that another company???

C2E SME

Are you confusing them with Carillion maybe? Or did Carillion own Carmacks?

edit: I don't think there was any ownership stake betwen Carillion and Carmacks, on a quick search.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 06-09-2019 at 03:58 PM.

Carillion is done....UK based.....owned a **** ton of companies world wide......

Bridges aren't that expensive...not as expensive as CoE wants you to believe.

I worked extensively on the Hwy 63 twinning.
    This particular bridge came in at $3.5m lowest bid (2013 or so):

Brand new two lanes with wide shoulder (to accommodate the large/wide loads going up to FMM) for $3.5m...including all the channel armouring and drainage course which is not shown from this angle.
    Yea obviously this isn't as long as some on the Henday, but the scale of economies can be extrapolated.

Albertra Transportation doesn't get all up and fancy with bridges. Piers, girders, deck, done. They employ a set of specifications which are complete and generally robust. Makes it simple for contractors.

^I still don't know who your "buddy" is but he's been wrong from all accounts:

-17th street is indeed a bridge widening....dunno why he insisted it wasn't
    -this project include bridge widening...not sure why he said it didn't
    -This $100m isn't "cheap" nor "expensive"....it's about right for what's being built.

As part of the Hwy 63 twinning Carmacks built 31 kilometres of 2 lane highway which included 3 bridges. Their bid which was lowest at the time was about $140m.

The scope of work here is substantially less but the main constraint is traffic accommodation and they have certainly bid that into the price.
    But if I gave you his/her name....then you'd try to be buddy's with my buddy lol......he/she was a lead with AB Trans. on ALL legs of the Henday.....but not so much on this "steal of a deal" expansion.....but told me a **** ton of detail to still have minimal involvement....

Don't know what else to say there little pea-shooter - he/she calls BS on this.....is convinced that the original plan was "yes" to all bridge deck expansion - but that was years ago with the original discussion but now...he/she says this is only lane expansions and nothing else...NO bridge deck expansion.......do what you want with this info....but I'm done talking about it.....

Still remember my civil engineering friend who has designed over 100 bridges. He suggested a $25 million solution for the 23 avenue interchange. His boss said, "If the COE wants a $75 million dollar bridge, that is what we will design them"

If you recall according to the Auditor's report, the junior COE engineer in charge of the project, seriously underestimated the scope and the time line dragged out and it became a mind blowing $264 million interchange

Still remember my civil engineering friend who has designed over 100 bridges. He suggested a $25 million solution for the 23 avenue interchange. His boss said, "If the COE wants a $75 million dollar bridge, that is what we will design them"

If you recall according to the Auditor's report, the junior COE engineer in charge of the project, seriously underestimated the scope and the time line dragged out and it became a mind blowing $264 million interchange
    Yeah the sickening greed and lack or morality in that so called professional community is disgusting.

$1/4 billion bucks for an overpass that was partly justified by the politicians of the day saying that the intersection congestion was making Edmonton look bad!

Sure was some deep analytical cost/benefit thinking happening there!

Peak boom = peak waste

Never let any politician tell you that money is short!!!!!
    Last edited by KC; 07-09-2019 at 07:43 AM.

Sooo, $100,000,000.00 and three years to repaint lines???

Sounds about right...
    No the shoulders will be used temporarily, you need to shift traffic over to safely tie in new lanes into existing ones

so these 2 new lanes would be going on the inter shoulders correct?

C2E SME

This leg is a key route for truck traffic. I wonder if the 135 Street interchange will be built too.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

135 street interchange is not part of this widening.
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magnus View Post
    so these 2 new lanes would be going on the inter shoulders correct?
    existing outsider shoulder (right side shoulder) is being used as the new lane in each direction.

^ correct - and i believe if we ever get to the next stage and actually fund it for a 4th lane, the added lane would be built on the inside (median side)
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

so then they would need to take down w/e this building is then why did they build it so close in the first place if they knew it would need to be expanded at some point

https://www.google.ca/maps/@53.45756...7i13312!8i6656

Plenty of room there for a lane. Why would they need to take it down?

No need for the building to be moved.

Using the satellite imagery, there is 13m from the current edge of the concrete pavement to the structure. There only needs to be 9m between edge of painted shoulder line and an obstacle. So the current edge of concrete pavement will become the future painted shoulder line and that is 13m away from the building. No need to do anything.

If they cannot obtain 9m minimum of "Clear zone", then a guardrail is used.

^ BTW, what is that structure ?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I think its the photo radar workers coffee room. lol. I got two tickets there before I finally clued in. They pose as city utility maintenance vans and such. Seriously, Im not sure

If I had to guess I'd say it has something to do with the automatic de-icing sprayers installed on that particular bridge. Purely speculation though.

EDIT: http://www.geometrixgroup.ca/project...ing-pumphouse/
    Last edited by Alex.L; 10-09-2019 at 09:36 PM.

I think Alex is right I vaguely remember them building it before the de-icing experiment

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    135 street interchange is not part of this widening.
    Which is really too bad. Instead of getting ahead of the game, where they know they will need it, they will just wait until this area becomes a problem and will rush to get it done to try and fix a problem.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Scope creep is real. Can't do everything or there's no way the $ will be approved.

There is no real need for the interchange yet.

Scope creep is real... and so are budgets.

135 Street/Anthony Henday Drive Connection

A future interchange is planned west of the existing 127 Street connection to Anthony Henday Drive to provide access to the Heritage Valley area to the south. The first 2 lanes of 135 Street will be constructed north of Ellerslie Road with ramp connections that align with the future interchange location.
    from https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...onnection.aspx

Please be advised of an upcoming public meeting to provide information on the Anthony Henday Drive Widening Project.

Widening will occur on Anthony Henday Drive (Highway 216) between Whitemud Drive and Highway 2 (Calgary Trail) adding one traffic lane in each direction. Construction will start October 2019 and is anticipated to be completed in fall 2022.

The meeting will provide information on the project scope, construction schedule and the prime contractor, Carmacks Enterprise Ltd.

Anthony Henday Widening
    Whitemud Drive to Hwy 2 (Calgary Trail)
    Pre-Construction Public Meeting, Sept 26, 2019
    Drop In between 5 and 8 pm
    Ellerslie Rugby Park
    11004 Ellerslie Rd SW

I attended the open house, it will indeed be 6 lanes from Calgary Trail to the Whitemud. Construction starts in October.

Did anyone make it to the public meeting tonight? If so, any key items to share such as more detailed schedules, phases, etc?

C2E Long Term Contributor

More importantly - was there any confirmation as to where exactly those extra lanes will be?
    You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea. - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    More importantly - was there any confirmation as to where exactly those extra lanes will be?
    Each direction will have a lane added on the outside from Calgary Trail to the Whitemud.

To the outside... that's seems odd and more complicated to me. Why wouldn't they expand the inside. It would have zero impact to traffic. Adding on the outside will affect all merge and exit lanes. Anyone know the reason for this?
    Also, I can't find ANY material online. Anyone have a link to anything other than the announcement?

Quote Originally Posted by KMart View Post
    To the outside... that's seems odd and more complicated to me. Why wouldn't they expand the inside. It would have zero impact to traffic. Adding on the outside will affect all merge and exit lanes. Anyone know the reason for this?
    Also, I can't find ANY material online. Anyone have a link to anything other than the announcement?
    Looks like the spacing between the EB / WB from 111st to at least the river is pretty tight, so adding another lane + shoulder in there would put the two too close together for proper safety. They already need a safety fence in between, if that gets even closer, with lighting poles in there too, I'd imagine it's just too unsafe.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Just fill that ditch, pave over it. Put a cement barrier down the middle where the lights are adding two lanes each way. Expand the bridges

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Maybe by outside they mean the left

Lots of flagging and marking going up ... so it begins!

C2E Long Term Contributor

I don't see any work happening as of yet
    You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea. - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

I imagine the ultimate design will be four lanes each way (one inside and one right).
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

For most of the road the subgrade was designed for at least one more lane on the inside one more lane on the outside.
    The most expensive parts will be widening the North Saskatchewan, Blackmud, Wedgewood Ravine and Whitemud Freeway bridges.
    Eventually when they add a lane inside they'll probably replace the ditch with concrete Jersey medians

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456