Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Anthony Henday Drive | South West Leg | Completed

At the risk of invoking yourself? Classic SDM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    At the risk of invoking the ire of a forum douche canoe or two, I'm fairly certain that news of a new hospital will be posted here
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...Proposed/page2
    Thanks douche canoe.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

https://globalnews.ca/news/3771028/n...etting-closer/

The next decade will see a ton of road infrastructure work in the southwest.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    Do we know where the new hospital is going?
    There is a big sign up Site of new Hospital on 127 and about 22 ave SW about two miles off the Henday
    Last edited by Drumbones; 30-09-2017 at 01:16 AM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Alberta’s transportation minister says design work is underway to widen the southwest Anthony Henday Drive, but no date has yet been set for construction.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/poli...cture-spending

Thank you for pretty much telling us nothing significant will be done. How much design is needed, most of the base grade is complete, the piers on the bridge can handle 4 lanes each direction, the most difficult design issue is widening the Wedgewood Ravine bridge.

They could double lanes on the on-off ramps from the Anthony Henday to,Yellowhead Trail and Stony Plain Road right now if they wanted to.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    Thank you for pretty much telling us nothing significant will be done. How much design is needed, most of the base grade is complete, the piers on the bridge can handle 4 lanes each direction, the most difficult design issue is widening the Wedgewood Ravine bridge.
    I've heard that since the wedgewood ravine bridge was value-engineered at the beginning it's going to be a huge issue to widen it now. Also a question of an access road being built into the ravine. That and the piers on the other bridge are wide enough but there is a question of whether they will be able to support both the crane needed for lifts and the added weight of said lifts. So design work will probably focus on lay-down areas and figuring out how exactly to do the job vs figuring out base grade, etc.

I'd imagine for the river bridge you can either build a berm for the crane, of course during lifts the bridge would need to be closed. Or they can use hydraulic jacks to push the extra beams across (10 Mile/Park Bridge near Golden was built that way).

Expansion plans set to be announced for the Anthony Henday southwest tomorrow.
    https://twitter.com/estolte/status/1006279394187464704

Prepare for outrage at cost/timeline/scope/everything. Meanwhile those of us who need this road to support a much higher load will be over here jumping for joy while simultaneously dreading the impending construction zone.

Well, with the planned LRT and the plans for a the new massive hospital out that way they'd be dumb to not have plans in the works to re-do that portion of the Henday.

I'm hoping modifications to the Terwillegar Drive interchange and Whitemud Drive are included with the plans

C2E Long Term Contributor

Doubt it. I think it will be 3 lanes per direction betwixt Gateway Blvd and Stony Plain Rd.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Little here about the upgrades themselves. Just debating urban sprawl.

Some big signage too, please:

One: Signs telling on-ramp drivers to speed up to match the freeway traffic’s speed would be wonderful. More than once I’ve been behind people merging at 60 km/h.

Far more frequently I’m stuck behind people that think merging at 75-85 km/h is sufficient. Then all the freeway traffic has to hit their brakes and drivers in the right-hand lane end up suddenly swerving into the left-hand lane when they realize that an amateur driver has arrived on the scene.

Amazingly, a couple times I’ve watched people manage to keep their speed down to only about 70 km/h while coming downhill on that amazingly long downward sloping Terrwilligar on-ramp. Then they’ve merged into the traffic otherwise doing about 100 km/h. You’d almost have to use your brakes to avoid accelerating to freeway speeds on that great on-ramp.

Two: Sign telling off-ramp drivers not to begin slowing until their wheels leave the right-hand lane and are all on the off-ramp, and they are not impeding the speed of drivers continuing on, on the freeway.

Three: signs for all novice drivers saying “Slower Traffic Keep Right” so the left lane is kept clearer, and consistency, predictability and smooth traffic flow is created for all drivers.[/b] Passing on the right is near eliminated and “city-only-drivers” gain an understanding of highway driving practices and consequently loose their fear of using their vehicle’s signal lights and making lane changes while driving at that, ‘oh, so scary’ 100 km/h highway speed.

Four: “Maintain speed” signs by the bridge and going up the river banks on either side. Unfortunately people slow down and the traffic backs up, especially up the south bank with the Terwiligar on-ramp that meets near the bridge.

Five: “Stop being a jerk” signs telling people in traffic they has slowed and backed up on the freeway to increase the distance between their vehicles and aim for a slow but continuously moving mass of vehicles without that repetitive start and stop nonsense where people ride each other’s bumpers and go from 40 to 0 to 40 to 0 to ... every 30 seconds later.
    Last edited by KC; 12-06-2018 at 08:40 AM.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Some big signage too, please:One: Signs telling on-ramp drivers to speed up to match the freeway traffic’s speed would be wonderful. More than once I’ve been behind people merging at 60 km/h. Frequently I’m stuck behind people that think 75-85 km/h is sufficient. Amazingly, I’ve seen people merge into 100 km/h at about 70 km/h while coming downhill on that amazingly long downward sloping Terrwilligar on-ramp. You’d almost have to use your brakes to avoid accelerating freeway speeds on that ramp.Two: Sign telling off-ramp drivers not to begin slowing until their wheels leave the right-hand lane, are on the off-ramp, and they are not impeding the speed of drivers continuing on, on the freeway.Three: signs for all novice drivers saying “Slower Traffic Keep Right” so the left lane is kept clearer, and consistency and predictability is created for all drivers. Passing on the right is near eliminated and “city-only-drivers” gain an understanding of highway driving practices and consequently loose their fear of using their vehicle’s signal lights and making lane changes while driving at that, ‘oh, so scary’ 100 km/h highway speed.Four: “Maintain speed” signs by the bridge and going up the river banks on either side. People slow down and the traffic backs up, especially up the south bank with the Terwiligar on-ramp that meets near the bridge.
    Good points, seems like we are going to spend mega dollars to fix people's inability to drive.

Some big signage too, please:One: Signs telling on-ramp drivers to speed up to match the freeway traffic’s speed would be wonderful. More than once I’ve been behind people merging at 60 km/h. Frequently I’m stuck behind people that think 75-85 km/h is sufficient. Amazingly, I’ve seen people merge into 100 km/h at about 70 km/h while coming downhill on that amazingly long downward sloping Terrwilligar on-ramp. You’d almost have to use your brakes to avoid accelerating freeway speeds on that ramp.Two: Sign telling off-ramp drivers not to begin slowing until their wheels leave the right-hand lane, are on the off-ramp, and they are not impeding the speed of drivers continuing on, on the freeway.Three: signs for all novice drivers saying “Slower Traffic Keep Right” so the left lane is kept clearer, and consistency and predictability is created for all drivers. Passing on the right is near eliminated and “city-only-drivers” gain an understanding of highway driving practices and consequently loose their fear of using their vehicle’s signal lights and making lane changes while driving at that, ‘oh, so scary’ 100 km/h highway speed.Four: “Maintain speed” signs by the bridge and going up the river banks on either side. People slow down and the traffic backs up, especially up the south bank with the Terwiligar on-ramp that meets near the bridge.
    You pretty much nailed it. I agree with all four points. There are some horrible drivers out there who don't understand how it all works to make things flow smoothly.

One: Signs telling on-ramp drivers to speed up to match the freeway traffic’s speed would be wonderful. More than once I’ve been behind people merging at 60 km/h. Frequently I’m stuck behind people that think 75-85 km/h is sufficient. Amazingly, I’ve seen people merge into 100 km/h at about 70 km/h while coming downhill on that amazingly long downward sloping Terrwilligar on-ramp. You’d almost have to use your brakes to avoid accelerating freeway speeds on that ramp.

Two: Sign telling off-ramp drivers not to begin slowing until their wheels leave the right-hand lane and are all on the off-ramp, and they are not impeding the speed of drivers continuing on, on the freeway.

Three: signs for all novice drivers saying “Slower Traffic Keep Right” so the left lane is kept clearer, and consistency, predictability and smooth traffic flow is created for all drivers.[/b] Passing on the right is near eliminated and “city-only-drivers” gain an understanding of highway driving practices and consequently loose their fear of using their vehicle’s signal lights and making lane changes while driving at that, ‘oh, so scary’ 100 km/h highway speed.

Four: “Maintain speed” signs by the bridge and going up the river banks on either side. Unfortunately people slow down and the traffic backs up, especially up the south bank with the Terwiligar on-ramp that meets near the bridge.

Five: “Stop being a jerk” signs telling people in traffic they has slowed and backed up on the freeway to increase the distance between their vehicles and aim for a slow but continuously moving mass of vehicles without that repetitive start and stop nonsense where people ride each other’s bumpers and go from 40 to 0 to 40 to 0 to ... every 30 seconds later.

Freeway Phobia

A common affliction that affects inexperienced, timid, clueless drivers with twice the horsepower as you but have the weakest right foot that cannot put 800 grams of force on a gas pedal. Complete and utter failures of humanity that have no right to be on the road and a major cause of slow traffic and traffic jams.

Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Hahahaha

I write like others drive. First get on the freeway then speed up. I jumped onto this thread and only then started repeatedly revising my post. (Notice my subsequent changes and added points.)

C2E SME

I wonder if the 135 Street overpass and the LRT bridge will be included.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Little here about the upgrades themselves. Just debating urban sprawl.
    that's because the announcement is today with I hope more details.

Quote Originally Posted by rupikhalon001 View Post
    Good points, seems like we are going to spend mega dollars to fix people's inability to drive.
    The road is past capacity. As much as I'm on the same page that nobody knows how to merge on to a freeway with or without congestion, the road is congested to the point they should've been adding a third lane years ago.

I wouldn't hold my breath for the 135th overpass, LRT bridge, any interchange work, or any of that. My bet is that it'll be 3 lanes (each direction) between 111th and Whitemud so it matches the rest of the ring road. I just hope they try to keep shut downs/lane closures/etc to nights and weekends as much as possible.

I like your other ideas, but if it's really "at capacity" then any attempt to encourage passing is counter-productive. I really noticed this on the QE2 this weekend - it felt like it was at close to capacity but it really wasn't because the same cars were variously clogging both lanes. There would have been lots of space for more traffic if the majority of traffic going 120 wasn't constantly changing lanes to pass the 20% of vehicles travelling at 115, and then changing back to get out of the way of the 10% going 125.
    There can only be one.

That's just what novice drivers need: more signs to distract them from paying attention to traffic.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    That's just what novice drivers need: more signs to distract them from paying attention to traffic.
    Yup. Will slow traffic another 20% and distract them from their texting-while-driving.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    “to distract them”

They are arriving distracted already. Oblivious to the requirements of the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post

I like your other ideas, but if it's really "at capacity" then any attempt to encourage passing is counter-productive. I really noticed this on the QE2 this weekend - it felt like it was at close to capacity but it really wasn't because the same cars were variously clogging both lanes. There would have been lots of space for more traffic if the majority of traffic going 120 wasn't constantly changing lanes to pass the 20% of vehicles travelling at 115, and then changing back to get out of the way of the 10% going 125.
    Maybe.

However, no one really enjoys changing lanes. That’s pretty obvious as we all see people forever sitting in the left lane. These people combined with people in the right hand lane all doing different speeds slow the overall throughput and hence create congestion. I suspect that can create an impression of a road at capacity well below its potential capacity. (I often see on the QEII long empty gaps between clusters of vehicles.)

Now, if people were encouraged to keep to the right as much as possible, then added pressure would be put on all drivers to drive consistently, predictably and to conform to thdvspeed being set by the group.

So, if you’re in the right-hand lane and a lot of cars come up behind you, swing into the left lane, pass you, and then pull back into the right-hand in front of you to continue on, then that should be a sign that you could maybe speed up to keep up with the general traffic flow and reduce the numbers of people having to pass you.

At some point though the government should then recognize the need to add another lane rather than force people to give up a safe, standard, near universal driving practice because they don’t want to spend the money to build roads appropriately sized for the demand.

Think electricity. Should they stop adding production to save money and force everyone to alter all their economic practices (work hours etc) to adjust their scheduling of electricity usage?
    Last edited by KC; 12-06-2018 at 11:32 AM.

KC- the provincial government has long stated that SW Henday is over capacity. According to guidelines, a third lane should've been added back in 2009, when we hit certain volume levels, but both the PCs and NDPs have neglected to action this until now.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    I wouldn't hold my breath for the 135th overpass, LRT bridge, any interchange work, or any of that.
    The 135 Street interchange is the City's responsibility. Planning is proceeding. There is a public meeting this afternoon where more details will be unveiled and posted online shortly thereafter.

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...onnection.aspx

Regardless of what the City does, the existing unsafe 127 Street on/off exits will permanently close no later than June 2019 (one year from now).

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    I wouldn't hold my breath for the 135th overpass, LRT bridge, any interchange work, or any of that.
    The 135 Street interchange is the City's responsibility. Planning is proceeding. There is a public meeting this afternoon where more details will be unveiled and posted online shortly thereafter.

Regardless of what the City does, the existing unsafe 127 Street on/off exits will permanently close no later than June 2019 (one year from now).
    I just meant as part of Today's announcement.

Shanelle Kaul‏ @shanellekaulCTV
    Southwest leg of Anthony Henday Drive will be expanded from 4 to 6 lanes. Construction to begin next year, project will take 3 years to complete.

Shanelle Kaul‏ @shanellekaulCTV
    Ward 9 Councillor Tim Cartmell says the southwest is the fastest growing area of our city. Henday will expand from Whitemud down to 111 street.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

The southwest leg of Edmonton’s ring road was designed for a volume of 40,000 per day but is now about 80,000 per day.

The expansion is to give about 120,000 capacity.

Design work is $6 million and total amount is about $100 million.

https://twitter.com/hinakalam

I had the displeasure of driving north on 111 street the other day during rush hour. The traffic was backed up all the way to Blackmud creek with people trying to turn west onto AHD. This expansion cannot come soon enough.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

I wouldn't hold my breath for the 135th overpass, LRT bridge, any interchange work, or any of that. My bet is that it'll be 3 lanes (each direction) between 111th and Whitemud so it matches the rest of the ring road. I just hope they try to keep shut downs/lane closures/etc to nights and weekends as much as possible.
    LOL. Doing work at night and weekends makes too much sense. Means the city will do the opposite...

The henday construction and the white mud at the same time a few years back was a total disaster for travelling.... thankfully I didn't need to travel during rush hour most times.

SW Anthony Henday Expansion to 3 lanes. Should be graded to allow for a 4th lane now.

https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?x...C402A87081036F

Curious what the plan is at Whitemud Creek.

Very little space to add 2 lanes...

https://goo.gl/maps/9XgpFiGdjYm

Whitemud Creek should be minimal - just extend the 2 grates out, right?
    I for one am more curious about the North Saskatchewan River bridges and if they can handle extra lanes without rebuilding the supports.

For all other bridges over the River and various creeks, the abutments and piers have been built to accommodate the ultimate design of 4 lanes in each direction.

All that is required is erection of new girders and a new bridge deck poured adjacent to the existing.

This "expansion" is a joke. So a third lane to be done around 2021/2022. At which point, volume will easily exceed 120k vehicles per day and we will have to wait another 10 years before they determine we reached capacity in 2023 and need a 4th lane. Anyone else seeing a pattern here? In the mean time just glancing at the SW Calgary Stoney I see they are building the middle section to 5 lanes in each direction. Take a look at google maps. It borders an already fully developed part of the city on one side and the Tsuu T'ina Reservation on the other. 10 lanes??? Really? I doubt that stretch will reach 80k cars anytime after opening. But that's where our province is spening our money. I am fed up of the short-sightedness and constant misallocation of money in this province, heavily favoring Calgary one government after another. END OF RANT.

^If you look at an aerial view of the SW Henday crossing the North Saskatchewan River I think the ultimate 4 lane configuration involves adding an inside lane and a outside lane in each direction. Short of shutting the Henday down during construction, this pretty much necessitates adding one lane in each direction in two phases. As mentioned in the press release, the decision to use concrete rather than pavement when the traffic lanes were initially constructed adds to the complication of adding traffic lanes to the existing roadway. Plus the expansion will no doubt lead to renewed calls for sound barriers to mitigate noise from the freeway on nearby residents. All of this will need to be considered during the design process.

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    Curious what the plan is at Whitemud Creek.

Very little space to add 2 lanes...

https://goo.gl/maps/9XgpFiGdjYm
    There is sufficient room to add 2 lanes each direction without having to narrow the shoulders significantly, one lane towards the median, the other on the outside.

The really expensive parts are widening Blackmud Creek, North Saskatchewan and Wedgewood Ravine bridges. They don't have the room on WB Anthony Henday to add lanes on the outside, the cheapest way to make both directions 4 lanes (eventually) would be to add 2 lanes WB along the median, and 2 lanes EB to the outside. But doing so means you're getting very close (probably too close) to the banks of the creek. Another method would be to make the WB main lane bridge and the WB C/D ramp bridges into one structure and then widen to one side.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4349.../data=!3m1!1e3
    Last edited by sundance; 12-06-2018 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post

The City's responsibility is to construct the 135 Street and Anthony Henday "Connection". The Future "Interchange" at 135 Street is under the "Provincial Jurisdiction", and requires additional planning work by AT to confirm its configuration.
    Anything related to this construction has nothing to do with an Interchange. Its the Connectors. Big difference.
    Come June 2019 all that will be built is a new off ramp and new on ramp.

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    The really expensive parts are widening Blackmud Creek, North Saskatchewan and Wedgewood Ravine bridges. They don't have the room on WB Anthony Henday to add lanes on the outside, the cheapest way to make both directions 4 lanes (eventually) would be to add 2 lanes WB along the median, and 2 lanes EB to the outside. But doing so means you're getting very close (probably too close) to the banks of the creek. Another method would be to make the WB main lane bridge and the WB C/D ramp bridges into one structure and then widen to one side.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4349.../data=!3m1!1e3
    Mind you the blackmud bridges already have 3 lanes on the bridge decks. Just needs a reconfiguration on the approaches. I think this area is just outside of the improvement area identified anyhow...
    The N.Sask and Wedgewood bridges you can visibly see the very wide piers and lanes were planned for either side of the existing bridges. Ideally they maintain two narrow lanes with a speed of 50/60kph during rush hour and expect total closures at night when they're erecting the girders.

The City has posted a slide deck with details on 135 Street entrance/exit to Henday, and related improvements:

https://www.edmonton.ca/documents/PD...s_June2018.pdf

Man, the SW is going to suck to drive in for a few years:

Rabbit Hill Road from Henday to half way to 23rd Avenue will be under construction to increase lanes from 2 to 2018-2019
    Henday SW will be adding lanes from 111st to Whitemud Starting in 2019-2022
    Ellersile will see widening 2018-2019
    127 street will close once 135 street is open
    Terwillegar Drive should see the start of improvements in 2019 or 2020... which will last several years depending on options chose.

Good thing I can walk to work in about 5 minutes and most of this shouldn't have a big impact on me... .but others... yikes!

I'll just go the other way to work on the Henday. Living near Summerside and working on St Albert Trail makes for a long drive to work.

"The road being designed now has a lifespan of about 20 years, and there’s room for future widening, van der Meer said.". I would be shocked if it actually takes 20 years to reach capacity.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345