Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the NHL

C2E Long Term Contributor

^ And yet some people want him to coach the Oilers.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Flames suck!
    be offended! figure out why later...

I'd rather C2E than work!

There will be dancing on the Red Mile tonight. It's called the One-Round Shuffle.

Looks like the Sharks are fish food too.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Oh yes....

Vancouver Canucks = Canada's team

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Wings/Anaheim
    Chicago/Canucks

I think the Wings are going to sweep Anaheim.

Chicago/Vancouver in 7. Series starts Thursday. Should be a good one.

I'm glad the Flames and SJ are done.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Oh yes....

I think Chicago will smoke them. Chicago is the model for how the Oilers "should" be IMO - young, fast, agressive and skilled.

I REALLY hope Washington smokes the Rangers tonight, and a bonus would be seeing Avery taken off in a stretcher (mean, I know, but I despise that guy).

I'm also hoping to see the Devils beat the 'Canes.

Gord

Blame Eric Francis of the Calgary Sun for writing a column about the possibility of a Vancouver/Calgary match-up when the Chicago series was only 2 games to 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    I'm also hoping to see the Devils beat the 'Canes.
    I'm hoping for a Devils loss, only because it might hasten Sutter's departure and his candidacy as Oilers' coach.

C2E Continued Contributor

Oh yes....

That may be, but I still hope they get swept.
    I don't despise any other team in the league more except the Canucks.

Very true SDM, very true. I have a good friend in Jersey that's 1) a female, and 2) a big hockey fan (that makes her a rare female hockey-lovin' American!), which is the only reason I hope they win. I think your reason might outweigh the other reason

Gord

Now there is talk if Joe Thornton is worthy of being on the 2010 Canadian Olympic roster.

But, why does Jarome Iginla get a free ride?

His team was bounced from the 1st Round for the forth straight year. His performance in the playoffs has been inconsistent at best. How come the media is not questioning his spot on the Olympic roster?

The so-called complete NHL player has not lived-up to his reputation in pressure

Well, I almost got my wish - Avery hobbled off the ice instead of being carried off on a stretcher. Close enough that it put a smile on my face

Gord

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Seems there's lots of Sean Avery band-wagon haters.

Wow - up by one in game seven, with just over a minute to go, and lose in regulation time. Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Poor Devils fans. That's gotta hurt.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

I've hated Avery for years, and I welcome all new Avery-haters onto the bus.

I'm sure Bettman is loving the Crosby/Malkin against Ovechkin/Semen match up.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    its Semin...
    lol...yes it is...quite a difference...

One is a fast skater and the other is a fast swimmer?

Early season nominee for quote of the year. Good call, Medwards. haha
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

grish

both are sharp shooters.

My girlfriend was laughing while we were watching the Washington game last night. Ovechin means "sheep," and Semin is "goat" in Russian. She kept giggling. Apparently they are not flattering Russian last names.

Gord

grish

Well, ovechkin does mean "sheep-like" (really difficult to make a direct translation). But Semin--no, not really a goat unless it is some sort of slang I don't know.

In Guantanamo (Banned)

she was probably thinking Semin sounds like male reproductive material like grish said it means nothing in russian

Oops, I was wrong - it was Kozlov, not Semin. She just laughed at me when I asked her.

Hanging head in shame...
    Gord

grish

that makes a lot more sense...

Let's pretend the Phoenix Coyotes do move to Ontario.

How would the conference alignment look? Does Atlanta jump to the Western Conference? If the If the Hamilton Jets go to the NE with the other eastern Canadian teams, then does Buffalo or Boston get displaced?

That would be a shame because both are natural rivals to the Leafs and Montreal.

grish

bring the leafs back into the west... we need more pushover clubs here.

I don't want blowhard Burke back in the West.

Default Why does Bettman have a hate for Basillie?

there seems to be more here. that's 3 teams, possibly 3 strikes. the way I understand it is Basillie is an ego-maniac and likes to do things his way. But he has not done anything illegal in any of his attempts to purchase an NHL team. Maybe over-zealous, very aggressive, but not illegal. Just not playing by NHL govenor rules. This gang mentality has out lived its purpose. this purchase is a business transaction. Not much has changed since the 'govenors' screwed Saskatoon out of the Blues in the early 80's. (for the record, Puck told Bill Hunter he had his vote, then voted against it, huh? whooda thunk it?)
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

never answered e-mail

^ I'm not sure if it's that Bettman has a hate on for him, but rather Bettman hanging on to his vision of continuing to sell hockey to the Southern States.

Oh, I think it's personal at least a little bit. Balsillie has handled himself VERY poorly in terms of the NHL. He has stepped on a lot of toes, and put a lot of people off. He might think he's hot stuff being a billionaire and all that, but guess what? So is every other NHL owner, more or less. He's done some very, very stupid things to put off the NHL, like for example selling deposits for season's tickets in Hamilton before he had even bought the team.

Like it or not, it isn't a simple business transaction. Pro-sports are an elite, old boys club, and you have to play by the rules of the club if you want admittance. Any sale of an NHL team has to be approved by the board of governors, and any move by a team also has to be approved. There's a multi-part process to this.

Not to mention that the NHL is questioning whether or not Moyes could even declare bankruptcy of the Coyotes. They took over operation of the team months ago because they were paying the bills. He can't just turn around, grab the $215 million, pay off his debts and keep the rest for himself.

Hey, I'd love for there to be one or two more Canadian teams and teams in perhaps Seattle and one or two other more traditional American markets. I think that the NHL has 6 franchises that shouldn't be where they are (Phoenix, Atlanta, Nashville, Florida, Tampa, and arguably Carolina), and that they should be moved.

But Ballsillie has been a complete jackass about this entire thing for like 5 years running now. I thought after the last time he would have learned his lesson and would try to play nice, but it's obvious he hasn't and is trying to put one over on Bettman.
    Last edited by raz0469; 07-05-2009 at 12:14 PM.

yeah, it's personal. I don't favor Basillie's tact, but Bettman's 'I'm doing this for the betterment of the league' mantra is bs. Remove both these guys (just in body) and get a deal done. Hockey doesn't work in Phoenix. Hockey works in southern Ontario. Doesn't seem that difficult.

I agree Balsillie has gone about this all wrong, and more than once. I think Bettman's concerned he might be inviting someone into their elite group who thinks he's bigger than the league, and that the rules are for eveyone else. It's proving a legitimate concern.

Balsillie's used to running the show, but he has to realize Bettman runs this show. I doubt he ever will, given the way he's handled this. Too bad, because I believe moving the Coyotes to Hamilton is a no-brainer given the circumstances.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

C2E SME

Balsillie has gone about things the wrong way here and there and has stepped on Bettman's toes but I'm more annoyed with Bettman. Bettman want's to prove to the world that he can bring hockey anywhere. I have no problem seeing hockey teams in the states but not in regions that have no interest in hockey. It may be considered a novelty and something to check out here and then but once the novelty is gone than what is left? As for Canada, I don't think anyone here can deny that hockey is our passion. Hamilton, Winnipeg, Quebec are a few cities that would probably love to see the NHL in their town. One city/province that would support hockey and possibly sell out games all year long would be Regina/Saskatechewan, problem is I don't think anyone is interested in chancing the Sask market, including Bettman.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

It's not looking good for the last Canadian team standing.

Good! Vancouver is my third least favorite team.

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by grish View Post
    bring the leafs back into the west... we need more pushover clubs here.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    Me too, Flamers and the Laffs the other two?

so glad Vancity is gone. Nice to see the Mats Sundin experiment fail. Looks good on the Canucks. This Sedin package deal is getting ridiculous. I would love to see a team make an offer on just one of them. HaHa.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    Me too, Flamers and the Laffs the other two?
    Bingo!!!

What grates me is news/sports broadcasters reporting the last of the Canadian teams was eliminated as if its a death in the family. Don't tell me who I have to cheer for.

The Hawks have become my favorite team these playoffs. First they eliminate Calgary, then Vancouver. If they end up eliminating the Ducks (if they upset Detroit) in the next round, they just got themselves a new fan.

Sweet!

Three Game 7's to watch.

C2E SME

And then there were four:

Detroit-Chicago
    Pittsburgh-Carolina
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    And then there were four:

Detroit-Chicago
    Pittsburgh-Carolina
    thank (your deity of choice) for that!!!! my hockey season was over the minute washington was eliminated...finally! next hockey match for me: oilers' season opener sometime in oct/09!! woohoo!!!

Mike Keenan - fired from the godless Flames.

Great, now the Oilers have to compete with them for the best available coaches. Hell, they'll likely also try to pry Brent Sutter away from Jersey.

And no, I don't want Keenan anywhere near the Oilers.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 22-05-2009 at 08:39 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Keenan in Edmonton? Sure why not?

grish

please, no Keenan. Lets not go all glittery with famous coach names. Lets get the best coach who will stay here long term. I am ok learning a brand new name.

^I'll take him if he somehow can bring with him Iginla and Phaneuff.

grish

and, please, phaneuff. he only looks mean, but we don't need another "-" player. he managed to have a negative +/- on an over-all offensively positive team. no thank you. he cannot even hit well anymore. he is at best average NHL d-man.

^he had one mediocre season, give me a break. Most NHL d-men take 3-5 seasons to hit their stride, it's a tough position to learn. The fact he came out so strong his first few seasons was pretty impressive. There's 29 other GM's in the league that would love to have him on their team.

^I agree - Phaneuff is going to be one of the greats of the game, he has a presence about him that few players do. I was lucky enough to be back stage at an Oilers game 2 seasons ago, and saw Phaneuff walk in with Calgary before the game, he was clearly a key leader even though so young. Calgary are very lucky to have him.

You can arguably say Phaneuf has now had two mediocre seasons in a row. His best season in the NHL so far was the year he was paired with Roman Hamrlik. Perhaps he still needs that guildance from an experienced d-man to be effective. Play him with Souray.

I think the fact that he started his career so strong and that he plays in a rabid hockey market, unfairly put huge expectations on the kid. Pierre MacGuire doesn't do him any favours by gushiung over him.

^ Having said that, as long as he is a Calgary Flame I hope he remains a grossly overpaid error-prone bum.

^hah, agreed on your second point. You first point, though, I just don't see it. He's had seasons of 49, 50, 60, and 47 points. There's only a handful of defensemen in the league putting up numbers like that. Has he had a mediocre season or two for a defenseman that is supposedly destined to win the Norris trophy several times in his career? Sure, you can argue that. Has he had a "bad" season as compared to the other couple hundred d-men in the NHL? Not even close.

grish

The final's games seem to be all 8pm eastern. Nice to see them thinking of the west coast viewers, or at least it appears they are thinking of the west.

I really want to cheer for Pittsburgh. But if Detroit wins the Cup and Hossa gets his ring there may be a chance he signs with the highest bidder in the summer, namely Edmonton.

What to do?

NG, exactly my thoughts on the issue. I think that's the best outcome for Oilers fans (though there's certainly no guarantee he'd sign here in the off-season), but if the Wings lose, it'll be a bit funny to think Hossa picked the wrong team to sign with last year. A bit ironic.

Gord

Atlanta Thrashers sign Joe Sakic to a multi-year deal - read here:
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=281276

C2E SME

You mean Marty Reasoner, don't you SDM?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Reasoner has always been a fan favorite around here. Good for him.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Atlanta Thrashers sign Joe Sakic to a multi-year deal - read here:
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=281276
    Nice one SDM, I was thinking how could Sakic leave Colorado and retire there!!
    It is a reference regarding MacT thinking Reasoner played like Sakic and even had the same number as him. Obviously one of these things is not like the other....

Yes, MacT comparing Reasoner to Sakic is the gist of the joke.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Now that we have a game 7 on Thursday, is anyone picking the Pens on their proline to win? I am.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Game 7 is on Friday June 12th @ 6 pm MST.

^^Yawn.

My apologies, but apathy is my game unless the Oilers are in it. Sorry folks.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ NHL playoff hockey is the best game in the world no matter which team is in it.

a new reason to hate the Dallas Stars: Marc Crawford is now their coach

Thank god Crawford won't be the color commentator for Oilers broadcasts next season.

BEST.....NEWS.....EVER!

I think I watched a game and a half with him blabbering on, then I gave up, put on CHED and muted the TV.

Gord

does anyone else find this whole Detroit VS Pittsburgh in game 7 of the stanely cup finals a little bit too convenient?
    if i was more skeptical i would say that is probably the best possible outcome for Bettmans NHL, almost as if the gods willed it to be.
    be offended! figure out why later...

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I wish the Oiler's could get him. Sean Avery for Horcoff any day. Avery's got more charisma then just about any other player in the league other then Progner. To Oiler's> Danny Heatly, Mike Cammalleri, Nikolai Khabibulin, Sean Avery. I'd put Avery on the "energy line."

No thanks. I'd rather not see Avery play in the NHL, and I certainly don't want him on the Oilers. Did you see what a different it was in Dallas once Avery left?

Gord

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Not really, they let Tippett go didn't they? Avery creates energy. He's controversial. The Oiler's need something like that.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The Oilers do not need a parasite like Avery, he is a cancer and doubt Mr. Katz would ever want someone that classless on his team.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Pronger traded to the Kings??? Does this take the Kings out of the Heatley sweepstakes or do they flip Pronger to Ottawa for him. Lauren Pronger might have a say in that decision lol.

http://my.thescore.com/nhlrumours/ar...-5th-pick.aspx

^ I imagine the trade won't be official until the Stanley Cup is handed out.

Pronger for Jack Johnson and the 5th overall pick?
    If it is true then Lowe got fleeced by Burke when he traded Pronger to Anaheim.

^ I imagine the trade won't be official until the Stanley Cup is handed out.

Pronger for Jack Johnson and the 5th overall pick?
    If it is true then Lowe got fleeced by Burke when he traded Pronger to Anaheim.
    Time will tell with the two 1st round picks - Eberle and Nash

The Pronger trade is being denied all around. Maybe Mrs. Pronger vetoed the deal?
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/...ducks_pronger/

Why would she veto the deal? It's not like she'd have to move anywhere as LA and Anaheim are essentially the same city (though, depending on traffic it can take you hours to get from one place to the other).

Gord

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The SN article states, "According to the NHL's collective agreement, no trades can be completed until after the conclusion of the Stanley Cup playoffs. Detroit plays host to Pittsburgh Friday night in Game 7 of the Cup final." Maybe this trade was suppose to come out after tonights game .

C2E Posting Power

I can't believe their are empty seats at Joe Louis arena for game 7......hockey town USA my a**, recession or not.

grish

1:0 pitsburg. at the moment Hossa's choice to jump ship looks pretty bad.
    Last edited by grish; 12-06-2009 at 07:18 PM.

C2E SME

2-1 Win for Pittsburgh.

Congratulations on winning the Stanley Cup.

It's finally over...

Now to focus on real issues. The Draft is coming up. Trades? Free agency? Who knows?

Congrats to Mathieu Garon for getting a Stanley Cup ring.

Poor Conklin. He's a jinx.

p.s.....Poor Hossa too.
    Last edited by North Guy66; 13-06-2009 at 12:19 AM.

Why would she veto the deal? It's not like she'd have to move anywhere as LA and Anaheim are essentially the same city (though, depending on traffic it can take you hours to get from one place to the other).

Gord
    More like L.A. vetoed the deal. If there was one.

Gord
    Because the local late night news sports anchor in LA is way hotter than her counterpart in Anahiem.

Congrats to Mathieu Garon for getting a Stanley Cup ring.
    Global news this morning also mentioned other ex-Oilers getting their rings - Guerin, Sykora and Satan.

Yes, you read that right - SATAN HAS A STANLEY CUP RING!

Todd Richardson is the new coach for Minnesota. Calgary is now the only team with a vacant head coaching spot, but we all know its going to be a Sutter.

Look to see MacTavish resurface as Crawford's replacement on CBC.

I'd laugh if MacT became the new coach of the godless Flames. They always take our sloppy seconds!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I'd laugh if MacT became the new coach of the godless Flames. They always take our sloppy seconds!
    worse yet if the Flames took MacT and they won the Cup with him

Flames may host outdoor game next season
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=282276

I would love for this to be a Heritage Classic II with the Oilers: Flames alumni vs Oilers alumni (imagine Semenko vs Tim Hunter in a middle-age bout) followed by a regular season game.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Might hold fan interest for Alberta could be a yawner for everyone else. I'd like to see it.

Apparently it's the Flames and Leafs.

Gord

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast