Thread: What Port Alberta???

Addicted to C2E

Default What Port Alberta???

What's the deal? If Port Alberta is suppose to be the silver bullet that brings all modes of transportation to one place and be the answer to the efficient movement of cargo, why is this happening? Is PA not being taken seriously? In light of the economic downturn, I can understand why we would not hear any major announcements anytime soon, but apparently there are such announcements. Just not here.

UPS to build $26-million distribution centre at Calgary airport
    THE CANADIAN PRESS
    November 18, 2008
    MISSISSAUGA, Ont. - UPS Canada announced Tuesday it is building a $26-million distribution centre at the Calgary International Airport to deal with a big jump in the packaging company's business in Alberta.
    The new centre will employ 415 people and house 157 trucks, the courier company said in a release.
    UPS will continue to operate its three separate distribution centres in the Alberta city until the new 150,000-square-foot warehouse begins operating in October 2009.
    "Calgary is clearly Alberta's premier international gateway for cargo today and in the future and this new facility will ensure current and new customers continue to receive expedient, reliable and convenient service," said Mike Tierney, president of UPS Canada.
    Since 2003, UPS Canada said it has seen a 60 per cent increase in the volume of orders from the greater Calgary area, particularly from the retail, technology and financial sectors.
    UPS Canada is a unit of UPS (NYSE:UPS), the world's largest package delivery company.
    Last edited by Jasper; 19-11-2008 at 08:42 PM.

C2E Continued Contributor

Port Alberta is a grand idea that will never happen. Calgary and its projects will make it the dominant port in this province for the years to come.

Sorry people but that is the truth

grish

that may be the truth, but the $26 million distribution centre is not quite what port alberta caters to. I think there is a difference between container distribution facility and a UPS sorting facility.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Uhh.... You do realize that a piddly warehouse and 400 package sorters is nothing compared to what's under construction at the EIA right now, don't you ?

Honestly, I swear that some of you don't want to see the city succeed.

C2E Posting Power

I think 240 GLT has it right here. $26 Million doesn't really get you very much these days - a glorified warehouse. The press release was obviously influenced by the Calgary airport folks who continually have to tell the world they are best. Port Alberta is a totally different approach and hopefully will proceed. Time will tell.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Folks,

Relax.

UPS has a "major" (for western Canadian standards) satellite DC in Calgary, and this has been the case for years. An expansion in the Calgary DC is just that, an expansion in an already existing facility. The last DC I helped deploy was 5 times this amount. ...a 150K sq ft sorting, repair, and returns facility, and the majority of the costs were in ASRS systems and associated technology for repair...

Right now, Calgary is a major gateway, so the statement is not false. YEG is behind, but only due to history - and the vast majority of that history is EDMONTON'S FAULT.
    Onward and upward

Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    Uhh.... You do realize that a piddly warehouse and 400 package sorters is nothing compared to what's under construction at the EIA right now, don't you ?

Honestly, I swear that some of you don't want to see the city succeed.
    I'm curious 240 what you think is under construction at EIA right now? There is apron expansion and that is it. No buildings, No hotel, and No terminal expansion, and No business park. Not being a wise *** but really there is nothing going on at EIA right now.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Uhh.... You do realize that a piddly warehouse and 400 package sorters is nothing compared to what's under construction at the EIA right now
    Is Port Alberta under construction now? Or is that the passenger expansion?

According to the YEG website
    Port Alberta, with all of its potential, doesn’t exist – yet. But the building has begun.

• 13,000 sq. metres of dedicated new cargo apron in 2007
    • 3,000 acres under development plan for 2008
    "Development plan" for 2008??
    Overall this is ambiguous. Especially since there have been no major announcements about who is to operate into P.A.

If construction has started, great! But my understanding was that Port Alberta is much more than an expanded cargo apron.

Anyone have any definitive information?

In Guantanamo (Banned)

Quote Originally Posted by AAAAE View Post
    Uhh.... You do realize that a piddly warehouse and 400 package sorters is nothing compared to what's under construction at the EIA right now
    Is Port Alberta under construction now? Or is that the passenger expansion?

According to the YEG website
    Port Alberta, with all of its potential, doesn’t exist – yet. But the building has begun.

• 13,000 sq. metres of dedicated new cargo apron in 2007
    • 3,000 acres under development plan for 2008
    "Development plan" for 2008??
    Overall this is ambiguous. Especially since there have been no major announcements about who is to operate into P.A.

If construction has started, great! But my understanding was that Port Alberta is much more than an expanded cargo apron.

Anyone have any definitive information?
    Port Alberta Port Alberta has the potential to transform Edmonton Region into a major North American warehousing and distribution hub that combines air, rail and road transportation infrastructure with links to Asia and the United States.

CANAMEX was one of the first north-south corridors designated as a High Priority Corridor under the National Highway Systems Designation Act. Actively pursued by Alberta since the early 1990's, the CANAMEX Trade Corridor links Canada, the United States and Mexico and stretches 6,000 km from Alaska to Mexico, truly a pan-American corridor
    http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/710.htm

Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs and Minister of Western Economic Diversification, announced federal funding of $1.5 million toward the plan today.
    http://news.gc.ca/web/view/en/index....008&yt_as=2008

A few announcements and 1.5 million dollars.

Until actual construction is started that is all we have right now.

Addicted to C2E

There seems to be a lot of hot air with port alberta but no substance. Every so often you hear someone talking about it at some luncheon or breakfast but it is the same old slides you saw the last time.

You would think if the 3000 acres had a shovel going in the ground there would have been a news release. I am fairly certain the current construction is just terminal expansion and not port alberta.

At least Calgary is actually doing something they have buildings under construction, they are making announcements. Even though Port Alberta is not a courier idea, don't you think an operation like UPS would fit nicely in it anyways? If you are talking cargo there are other documents that go by courier.

I would not expect much over the next while with the economy the way it is.

Maybe edmonton airports should just cut their losses and and sell the name to Calgary.

The airport suffers the same issues as the rest of the city a lack of initiative to do things and get things done.

So sad. I mean that the major expansion for containers will take place at Prince Rupert and all those containers will come through Edmonton and not Calgary. I mean, it's almost enough to make YYC apologists...oh wait...I need not say ..it's evident on this page.

The past is Calgary - the future is Edmonton. *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Folks,

Relax.
    I be so relaxed waitin on sumthin beyond our earlier discussion...

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ead.php?t=6739

any "real" updates for us there RichardS - or are those pesky NDAs still in the way

Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    So sad. I mean that the major expansion for containers will take place at Prince Rupert and all those containers will come through Edmonton and not Calgary. I mean, it's almost enough to make YYC apologists...oh wait...I need not say ..it's evident on this page.

The past is Calgary - the future is Edmonton. *sigh*
    BY no means am I an apologist for Calgary (and I suspect most of the other posters if not all are not apologists). It is just that we see a few announcements here and there but nothing happens for years....

As a region we need to get of our a%#es and be more aggressive than any other city, not just Calgary, and get things done, rather than the usual "oh look at the pretty power point won't you come and do something in my little city, oh you are going to Calgary that's OK".

I try and do my part in my role in the region, but it takes all of us doing something.

Forums such as these and C2E are a double edged sword. While they provide interesting information to readers they also raise their expectations to high levels by publishing rumors and speculation on grand projects such as Port Alberta, new office towers etc etc.

In reality none of this can be believed until we see the shovels start digging and construction begin. In the case of Port Alberta and other projects when you have the city of Edmonton at the peak of it boom construction period and no news or announcments are made it makes me wonder what is fact and what is fiction.

^ Isn't that the case with any enterprise, though? You have to have a vision before you can create a plan, and you have to have a plan before you can attract buy-in and investment, and you have to have all of those before you can have shovels in the ground.

But you don't need to see those shovels to know that someone has vision, that a plan is being formed, and that buy-in and investment is being solicited.

In other words, quit yer whinin'.

I guarantee work is actively going on behind the scenes to move this forward. It's a huge project involving politics, business and logistics - it needs a chance to develop.
    Almost always open to debate...

Partially Addicted to C2E

To clarify a few points:

Apron expansion is underway - 90,000 square metres completed. You have to have apron if you want a new terminal with bridges. Another 200,000-plus sq. metres to go next year.

4,000 parking stalls are underway as we speak, with 2,700 fully ready for Christmas. More on that soon.

Next summer you will see construction starting on the new terminal.

Port Alberta is a long-term project. This not something that is going to pop up over night. The fundamentals of why PA could work are still in place. With the current credit situation, I would suspect you are not going to hear any major private investments over the next six months, but we have people who are busy pitching and despite the fact this sounds self-serving, there's a lot of interest out there.

As well, the $2.26 million in WD funding is going to help develop a logistics centre - – or what I like to call “fast-port” – it will provide cargo customers with a one-stop shop for security, customs and other regulatory services, enabling quick throughput. The centre will incorporate the leading 21st design standards, maximizing efficiency and sustainability.

The money will also help develp the "SmartPort" platform that will will connect shippers and manufacturers of all sizes with suppliers and customers.

Now here's a plug: Come out to the Beer and Bull session on Nov. 27, 5:30 pm. at Century Grill for more detailed responses from the people in the know.

Not much to add to that, but that I think it can still help to lean on your local elected representatives whether they tell you all's in hand or not.

BTW, I won't be at the Beer & Bull, but thanks.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Thanks JimR...

Like I said Jeff, relax.
    Onward and upward

In Guantanamo (Banned)

Port Alberta is a bad thing anyways rather it never happen everyone back east will lose their job in manufacturing and we will sit back with a few measly shipping and recieving jobs getting warm with the communists.

Addicted to C2E

^English 10. Most high schools offer it.
    Last edited by Jasper; 19-11-2008 at 08:43 PM.

First One is Always Free

Default Port Alberta

Quote Originally Posted by Rarwin View Post
    Port Alberta is a bad thing anyways rather it never happen everyone back east will lose their job in manufacturing and we will sit back with a few measly shipping and recieving jobs getting warm with the communists.
    What?

Communists? Are there any left now? Okay Cuba and Vietnam are still left and Canada even does a fair bit of business with Cuba.

The concept makes sense, with better weather on the Yellowhead, fewer and lower passes, fewer mudslides, and Prince Rupert doesn't have near the congestion that Vancouver has. Prince Rupert is as well about 400km closer to Japanese and Chinese ports too.

About Edmonton's only disadvantage is air links but hopefully that will change.

In Guantanamo (Banned)

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    Communists? Are there any left now? Okay Cuba and Vietnam are still left and Canada even does a fair bit of business with Cuba.

The concept makes sense, with better weather on the Yellowhead, fewer and lower passes, fewer mudslides, and Prince Rupert doesn't have near the congestion that Vancouver has. Prince Rupert is as well about 400km closer to Japanese and Chinese ports too.

Port alberta is a planned hub for the Canamex freeway wich is already built (alberta half of the Nafta super highway) and the Asi-Pacific Gateway and Corridor wich expands east and west to Prince Rupart like you said project spending to date since 2007

• Pitt River Bridge and Mary Hill Interchange ($90 million);
    • Roberts Bank Rail Corridor: road/rail grade separations ($50 million);
    • South Fraser Perimeter Road ($102 million);
    • Twinning of the Trans Canada Highway in Banff National Park ($37 million); and
    • Regional Transportation Management Centre for the Lower Mainland ($2 million).

• South Fraser Perimeter Road (an additional $263 million)
    • North Fraser Perimeter Road ($65 million)
    • Regional Transportation Management Centre for the Lower Mainland (an additional $5 million)
    • Roberts Bank Rail Corridor: Road/Rail Grade Separations (an additional $25 million)
    • Local Road Improvements – Richmond ($4.72 million)
    • Local Road Improvements – Delta ($0.73 million)
    • Highway 2 and 41 Avenue Intermodal Access
      Proponent: Alberta Infrastructure and Transportation
      Total Project Cost: $150 million
      APGCI contribution: $75 million
    • 1. Freeway Interchange – Saskatoon (Lorne Avenue and Circle Drive)
      Proponent: City of Saskatoon
      Total Project Cost: $20 million
      APGCI contribution: $10 million

2. Freeway Interchange – Saskatoon (Idylwyld Freeway and Circle Drive)
      Total Project cost: $20 million

In Guantanamo (Banned)

It will facilitate the relocation of the CPR intermodal freight terminal from a residential area in Edmonton to a new site at the southern limit of the city. It will also improve access to and from the new CPR intermodal facility, alleviate congestion and increase business opportunities for northern Alberta. "The new interchange will improve the movement of goods between rail and transport vehicles, providing an efficient link from Alberta to the Asia-Pacific markets," said Minister Ouellette. "The remaining funding for the project will be cost shared between the province and the City of Edmonton."
    The APGCI is a national project that will provide economic benefits to all Canadians. The Government of Canada has committed over $1 billion to the initiative and is working closely with the governments of the four Western provinces, municipal governments, regional transportation agencies and private sector leaders.

In Guantanamo (Banned)

The Asia-Pacific Gateway and Corridor is a network of transportation infrastructure, including ports, principal road and rail connections stretching across Western Canada and south to the United States, key border crossings, and major Canadian airports. The network serves all of Canada and the Asia-Pacific Gateway and Corridor Initiative (APGCI) aims to take advantage of Canada's strategic location, at the crossroads between the North American marketplace and the booming economies of Asia.
    On October 11, 2006, Prime Minister Harper announced the APGCI with an initial investment of $591 million. A further commitment of $410 million was made in Budget 2007, bringing total federal funding for the APGCI to more than $1 billion. The APGCI is a long-term effort, focusing on infrastructure, policy, governance and operational issues together in one multi-modal, system-based, public-private strategy.
    In an era of rapidly moving and integrated global supply chains, policies and investments must consider entire transportation systems—systems that connect, for example, Asia with North America's economic heartland. In this context, making the right investments anywhere along the system benefits all who rely on it, in addition to those in jurisdictions where dollars are invested. That is why the Government of Canada has taken a pan-western, system-based approach to the APGCI.

For goods or parcels coming out of the USA the fact is it makes more sense to have a distribution centre in Calgary. Otherwise you'd end up shipping goods to Edmonton and then re-tracing your steps to bring them back to Calgary.

Port Alberta is supposed to be about bulk trans-Pacific trade to Prince Rupert and then on to Edmonton and then on to N. America. No re-tracing of any routes and 400 km closer to Asia than Vancouver.

Not the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post

Port alberta is a planned hub for the Canamex freeway wich is already built (alberta half of the Nafta super highway) and the Asi-Pacific Gateway and Corridor wich expands east and west to Prince Rupart like you said project spending to date since 2007

• Pitt River Bridge and Mary Hill Interchange ($90 million);
    • Roberts Bank Rail Corridor: road/rail grade separations ($50 million);
    • South Fraser Perimeter Road ($102 million);
    • Twinning of the Trans Canada Highway in Banff National Park ($37 million); and
    • Regional Transportation Management Centre for the Lower Mainland ($2 million).

• South Fraser Perimeter Road (an additional $263 million)
    • North Fraser Perimeter Road ($65 million)
    • Regional Transportation Management Centre for the Lower Mainland (an additional $5 million)
    • Roberts Bank Rail Corridor: Road/Rail Grade Separations (an additional $25 million)
    • Local Road Improvements – Richmond ($4.72 million)
    • Local Road Improvements – Delta ($0.73 million)
    • Highway 2 and 41 Avenue Intermodal Access
      Proponent: Alberta Infrastructure and Transportation
      Total Project Cost: $150 million
      APGCI contribution: $75 million
    • 1. Freeway Interchange – Saskatoon (Lorne Avenue and Circle Drive)
      Total Project Cost: $20 million

2. Freeway Interchange – Saskatoon (Idylwyld Freeway and Circle Drive)
      Total Project cost: $20 million
    It will facilitate the relocation of the CPR intermodal freight terminal from a residential area in Edmonton to a new site at the southern limit of the city. It will also improve access to and from the new CPR intermodal facility, alleviate congestion and increase business opportunities for northern Alberta. "The new interchange will improve the movement of goods between rail and transport vehicles, providing an efficient link from Alberta to the Asia-Pacific markets," said Minister Ouellette. "The remaining funding for the project will be cost shared between the province and the City of Edmonton."
    The APGCI is a national project that will provide economic benefits to all Canadians. The Government of Canada has committed over $1 billion to the initiative and is working closely with the governments of the four Western provinces, municipal governments, regional transportation agencies and private sector leaders.
    The Asia-Pacific Gateway and Corridor is a network of transportation infrastructure, including ports, principal road and rail connections stretching across Western Canada and south to the United States, key border crossings, and major Canadian airports. The network serves all of Canada and the Asia-Pacific Gateway and Corridor Initiative (APGCI) aims to take advantage of Canada's strategic location, at the crossroads between the North American marketplace and the booming economies of Asia.
    On October 11, 2006, Prime Minister Harper announced the APGCI with an initial investment of $591 million. A further commitment of $410 million was made in Budget 2007, bringing total federal funding for the APGCI to more than $1 billion. The APGCI is a long-term effort, focusing on infrastructure, policy, governance and operational issues together in one multi-modal, system-based, public-private strategy.
    In an era of rapidly moving and integrated global supply chains, policies and investments must consider entire transportation systems—systems that connect, for example, Asia with North America's economic heartland. In this context, making the right investments anywhere along the system benefits all who rely on it, in addition to those in jurisdictions where dollars are invested. That is why the Government of Canada has taken a pan-western, system-based approach to the APGCI.

All of this is is a rambling regurgitation of past news releases.
    Are you even looking at what we are discussing in this thread?

What is your point?

In Guantanamo (Banned)

Point is Everything will come off a boat from Asia or mexico so what happens to all our manufacturing jobs? All the people over East. Big reason why the big3 are going under we allowed foreign cars into the market for every foreign car purchased 2 jobs at home are lost so we lay our people off they can't make the mortgage banks go under. The hole idea of a Global economy is rediculous how do you expect anyone to survive living this standard of livingf and compete with Mexican or Chinese labour?

C2E SME

There's no way that we can compete with the labour costs of Mexico, China or other overseas countries; however, we have an educated workforce, and we should compete in areas of skilled labour.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Alberta would be a very awkward place to do business. Too much business, not enough staff... in 6 months... too much staff not enough business. When would you sign the lease?? I am puzzled.

With the recession sinking in labour costs and real estate will drop. Along with a low dollar and low fuel prices, the viability maybe more likely??? But they say, Alberta will bounce back very well in about 3-5 years. So will that put us back into the "too much business... not enough staff" scenario again? This market, although we think its great, maybe high risk. Prince Rupert could turn into a ferry terminal if shipments drop drastically.

Now if the CEO's of major corporations would get off the TV and quit scaring the heck out of each other, we could get to business.

Point is Everything will come off a boat from Asia or mexico so what happens to all our manufacturing jobs? All the people over East. Big reason why the big3 are going under we allowed foreign cars into the market for every foreign car purchased 2 jobs at home are lost so we lay our people off they can't make the mortgage banks go under. The hole idea of a Global economy is rediculous how do you expect anyone to survive living this standard of livingf and compete with Mexican or Chinese labour?
    Unless you were born yesterday you obviously haven't been paying any attention to where manufacturing has been taking place over the past two decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarwin
    The hole idea of a Global economy is rediculous how do you expect anyone to survive living this standard of livingf and compete with Mexican or Chinese labour?
    Historically, more trade has ALWAYS led to more economic activity and better standard of living for those who are doing the trading, on both sides. Countries that isolate themselves and refuse to trade end up like China through the late part of the last millenium: a once great empire that was left behind by the rest of the world. It's actually quite interesting how China's fortunes changed once the emperor closed the borders. I hear that North Korea has plenty of trade restrictions and government subsidized domestic industry though!

I sure hope the North Korean internet firewalls let them access that handy aurora email website, cause it looks like the viewing conditions there are awesome!

Okay competition is an issue, however about 10 years ago I was told it costs GM $600 less per vehicle to build a car in Mexico as opposed to Detriot, I think with increased automation this number has probably went down.

China is realizing slowly that shortcuts they have taken with environment and safety in the large picture don't make sense. If people stop buying food and products from China because of recalls then their businesses cease. So their local costs are in fact increasing to be closer to our costs.

As for a world economy being ridiculous, umm it's a reality, check 99% of the products you have, are they made in Edmonton (nope except gasoline and oil). Alberta more then likely not, Canada probably no, so the reality is we have one world economy for good or for bad. Albania tried an absolute firewall approach for decades, and in the end it failed and they are in the process now of accession to the EU. Sure you can try to grow everything in the back yard garden and buy locally at farmer's markets but last time I checked not too many cars were manufactured in Edmonton.

The reality is certain areas make certain products better and cheaper then other areas. So products will be transported and something like Port Alberta will help this and streamline the transportation. By streamlining the transportation you do reduce costs, pollution and environmental effects.

In Guantanamo (Banned)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    There's no way that we can compete with the labour costs of Mexico, China or other overseas countries; however, we have an educated workforce, and we should compete in areas of skilled labour.
    we should eh?

Globalism The basic agenda of global free market integration is the elimination of all trade barriers so that there is unrestricted mobilisation of goods, services, capital, investments, production and information systems, as well as labour. <----notice that last part labour that is your job they have more skilled labour in China than they can shake a stick at, pick of the crop as they say all those guys in the oilsands those camps will be filled with forein workers for cheap.

The EPG proposed that the process of Asia-Pacific liberalization be started by 2000 and completed by 2020. Thus the "2020 plan" embodied in the 1994 Declaration of Common Resolve.<----kiss all our jobs good bye

Don't forget that Port Alberta will facilitate trade in the oppsoite direction too.

We may not be manufacturing foods, but we do ship things such as food and raw resources.

If we were smart about how we manufactured goods in canada we could be more competative. Forestry industy is the case in point. Europe invested heavily in automated saw mills, and because of this they are able to offer products at comparable prices.

grish

port alberta will also make a compelling case to locate a manufacturing plant of some sort in the neighbourhood. maybe a very interesting and promising combination of Nano-technology and pharmaceuticals development with being the "port city" for example.

Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    Don't forget that Port Alberta will facilitate trade in the oppsoite direction too.

We may not be manufacturing foods, but we do ship things such as food and raw resources.

If we were smart about how we manufactured goods in canada we could be more competative. Forestry industy is the case in point. Europe invested heavily in automated saw mills, and because of this they are able to offer products at comparable prices.
    Actually there is a fair amount of food processing in Alberta - not the extent as the oil and petrochemical industries but it is there. The province has a great food product incubator in Leduc for the development of new food products.

C2E SME

I think that Canadian Pacific (Rail Yard), Nisku/Leduc, CN, Edmonton International Airport and Port Alberta could market together as a trading and transportation hub, we'd be a force to be reckoned with.

Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    I think that Canadian Pacific (Rail Yard), Nisku/Leduc, CN, Edmonton International Airport and Port Alberta could market together as a trading and transportation hub, we'd be a force to be reckoned with.

Ah! Cooperation in the Edmonton Region, that should be a no brainer. Oops, forgot about our stellar history in cooperation in this area.

Please prove my cynicism wrong Edmonton - just once!

Actually that is what Port Alberta is supposed to do. Turn the Edmonton region into an inter-modal hub or "inland port". It would umbrella things like EIA and CP to help them all work as a unified whole.

With its glacial movement to date, and the added economic funk i would imagine we will soon see announcements regarding a further delay in its development. Still a virtual wet dream from what i see. I doubt we will see mortar and brick development for at least five years.
    I suppose the new rail yards in the SW will trigger more development i hope. Seems to be a lot of talk but no walk.

Default Port Alberta... From concept to Reality

The Canadian Society For Civil Engineering is putting on a presentation on Thursday March 19 at the Faculty Club at U of A. It starts at 5:30 cocktails and registration dinner then presentation at 7:30. It will be presented by Janet Riopel. You can register at [email protected]
    Cost is $30 for non-members.
    I am sure you will have a better idea as to the state of the "Port" afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    The Canadian Society For Civil Engineering is putting on a presentation on Thursday March 19 at the Faculty Club at U of A. It starts at 5:30 cocktails and registration dinner then presentation at 7:30. It will be presented by Janet Riopel. You can register at [email protected]

I believe tickets are not on sale yet.... at least not from the civil club yet. I'm expecting this to have a very big turnout.

Quote Originally Posted by LindseyT View Post

I believe tickets are not on sale yet.... at least not from the civil club yet. I'm expecting this to have a very big turnout.
    Was anyone able to go to this presentation? Unfortunately I was in Varadero and was unable to attend.

grish

"Unfortunately in Varadero?" Who are you kidding?!

Mr student rep for CSCE didn't remind me. Supposedly it was rather short and dealt with various concepts.

Addicted to C2E

Does this concept actually have any legs? There has been talk in the past but has anything actually occurred or is it just a lot of hot air?

C2E Long Term Contributor
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

^ link no work, not a static link...

June July agendas Edmonon.ca
    www.decl.org

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Went to the City page...no meeting with this on the agenda.

Do you remember which meeting? I'm really interested in where this is now...
    Onward and upward

www.decl.org

I don't even understand this situation. Close to a decade has gone by and nothing has been done now there is meeting. Has the fat lady not already sung?��

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

Default De Beers moves Canadian HQ from Toronto to Calgary International Airport

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...gary-1.3666953

"Executives considered Edmonton, Vancouver and other locations, but decided Calgary was the best fit because of its skilled work force, staff retention rates, costs, and logistics. A discount on real estate because of the oil downturn also helped.

We looked at a lot of options across Canada," said Kim Truter, chief executive of De Beers Canada. "Calgary came out the winner, especially on the logistics aspect because Calgary is the logistics capital of Canada."

The airport? I guess YEG needs to really UP its game and get something done.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edTel View Post
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...gary-1.3666953

"Executives considered Edmonton, Vancouver and other locations, but decided Calgary was the best fit because of its skilled work force, staff retention rates, costs, and logistics. A discount on real estate because of the oil downturn also helped.

We looked at a lot of options across Canada," said Kim Truter, chief executive of De Beers Canada. "Calgary came out the winner, especially on the logistics aspect because Calgary is the logistics capital of Canada."
    Thanks edTel.

One thing the article also forgot to mention is that the labour force in Calgary is hungry. The economy did hit them harder - you even saw the evidence in EI extensions.
    Onward and upward

A bit off topic, but since De Beers is brought up, the diamond industry seems an odd one to me. Lab grown diamonds which are chemically identical to mined diamonds are starting to hit the markets in bigger volumes (although still not cheap). I wouldnt mind seeing De Beers cartel broken. Still, good news for Calgary / Port Alberta (which Calgary built while COE/ YEG disappointingly just debated it).
    Last edited by moahunter; 07-07-2016 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    A bit off topic, but since De Beers is brought up, the diamond industry seems an odd one to me. Lab grown diamonds which are chemically identical to mined diamonds are starting to hit the markets in bigger volumes (although still not cheap). I wouldnt mind seeing De Beers cartel broken. Still, good news for Calgary / Port Alberta (which Calgary built while COE/ YEG disappointingly just debated it).
    That is why Calgary always get. Their business community always work together while our's just gather around with perhaps a few tokes and then call it a day. We need to smarten up here and walk the walk; enough with the talk. If our business leaders choose to get involve then due things with pride. Don't get involve for the sake of being involved.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    I don't even understand this situation. Close to a decade has gone by and nothing has been done now there is meeting. Has the fat lady not already sung?��
    I understand why nothing has happened.

There was a study done and it found the Edmonton Logistics industry is spread all over the capital region, it is not concentrated.

So the air was let out of the balloon, but Port Alberta carried on and was kep alive as a "concept" for the entire Edmonton region.

Changes in leadership and management, and Port Alberta came back with a vengence! The result is all the new hangars and wearhouses along the south east of YEG.

Now if only the airport could get the proper road connections to Highway 2 and Highway 39 in place to really make it take off.

As I mentioned on another thread there is a large development started at the south end of 12/30 right next to what will be one day a new interchange. Judging by the size of the lot it could be a 200,000+ warehouse.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Amazon decides to build a distribution center North of Calgary and where is Port Alberta?

All I hear is crickets.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
    Amazon decides to build a distribution center North of Calgary and where is Port Alberta?

All I hear is crickets.
    Well a new cargo terminal opened and Korean Air Cargo is now servicing YEG. But I hear you.

Who is the captain running this ship?
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

^ Maybe ask Brad Ferguson or Tom Ruth?
    http://www.portalberta.com/leadership/
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Crack the whip at them!
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Port Alberta andEEDC are a joke. Management of these entities are completely incompetent! Edmonton should be able to compete with Calgary for this type of business given proximity to the CNR line. No excuses other than sleeping at the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I guess nobody could have predicted that Amazon and Walmart and UPS, etc, might not take the time to fill in that pretty, and no doubt expensive, form ... “if you are looking for different markets... get in touch”

Instead of paying for “if you build it, they will come”(what Calgary did), Edmonton paid for “if you advertise it, and study it, and set up a committee for it, they will come, won’t they?”.
    Last edited by moahunter; 29-10-2017 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    Crack the whip at them!
    We are so painfully beyond that point. Heads need to roll, and NOW.

In all seriousness does EEDC accomplish anything?

Quote Originally Posted by happydays View Post
    In all seriousness does EEDC accomplish anything?
    Make excuses and pat themselves on the backs over peanuts and leftovers. Yes, I'm angry.

The past President of Port Alberta, Gordon Groat, is now a councillor for the city of Lake Havasu City, AZ. I guess things went south.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 28-11-2017 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    The past President of Port Alberta, Gordon Groat, is now a councillor for the city of Lake Havasu City, AZ. I guess things went south.
    Like London Bridge: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London...e_Havasu_City)
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post

All I hear is crickets.
    Any chance YEG can get in early on the North American rise of Alibaba?
    (thinking distribution center/hub)
    i love lamp

^ They should be looking at it you would think

The mayor and Brad Ferguson have hinted as much.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Brilliant, do a study to find out why studies didn't work in making Port Alberta happen...

C2E SME

Don Iveson did say that Edmonton was working on inviting Alibaba to set up shop in the Edmonton area.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Brilliant, do a study to find out why studies didn't work in making Port Alberta happen...
    While I get this sentiment, I'd suggest that they broaden the scope from just "why Port Alberta"...

There is a consistent theme for cities like Edmonton ...with a stark reality that boosters and naval gazers simply do not want to hear.

I got a stark reminder of Edmonton's reality last week while at an industry conference.
    Onward and upward

Please enlighten us naval gazers.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

No more free advice. I have a consulting company to run. Logistics, manufacturing, et al is my forte. I'm well past giving my time up for free.
    Onward and upward

Then why say anything?

C2E SME

I wonder what Dr. Jodi Abbott and the Edmonton Region board have to say.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Then why say anything?

Just to trigger you off Glenco...does that make you happy?

Maybe some of us are just tired of seeing the circle-j that is boosterville. Hint, if you have to keep saying you're world class, you are not. ...also, if you have to keep saying it...and nothing changes...maybe it is because you haven't given them something to listen to?

@Whiskeyjack, I caught your grammar lesson...snarky approach aside, point taken.
    Onward and upward

First One is Always Free

@Whiskeyjack, I caught your grammar lesson...snarky approach aside, point taken.
    That was an impressive catch -- I don't think it was up for two minutes before I tried to edit it and inadvertently deleted the whole thing. Had I known anyone had seen it, I would have reposted it rather than just giving up.

In case anyone's interested, the meat of my previous post was that "et al." means "and other people," whereas "etc." means "and other things".
    Grammar lessons now with 10% less snark!